登录 / 注册

当前位置:首页>学习资源首页>英语阅读>Lady Gaga: Fashion Icon or Fashion Nightmare

Lady Gaga: Fashion Icon or Fashion Nightmare

1 6200 分享 来源:必克英语 2010-04-14

Lady Gaga: Fashion Icon or Fashion Nightmare 

So many words come to mind when you say the name of Lady Gaga. You either think she is the greatest thing since sliced bread, or the weirdest thing since Marilyn Manson, either way she’s sure to get your attention. This isn’t a tutorial on Gaga’s fashion because you can’t wear those kinds of crazy clothes in everyday life, you would be sent to a crazy asylum [əˈsailəm](精神病院) for it. I wanted to do an article on her because in a sense she is a fashion icon, her style is not like anyone else and she does catch the attention of many, whether it’s good or bad. I’m a fan of Gaga’s music, just like her, it’s different and weird, but I like that.

Lady Gaga was born Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta on March 28th 1986, the eldest child of Italian-American parents in New York City. At the age of 4 she began playing the piano by ear. By age 11 she was set to join Julliard School in Manhattan, but instead went attended Convent of the Sacred Heart, a private Roman Catholic school.  At age 13 she wrote her first piano ballad and by 14 she was singing at open mic night. Gaga was often teased[ti:z](嘲笑) for being too weird and eccentric [ikˈsentrik](古怪的) (that’s hard to believe) so she decided to tone her look down. She has said that she has often felt like a freak [fri:k](奇怪的人). At the age of 17 Gaga gained early admission to the New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts. At this school she studied music and improved her song writing skills greatly, she later withdrew from the school to pursue her music career. At the age of 19 she signed with Def Jam Records after Island Def Jam Music Group Chairman and CEO LA Reid heard her singing down the hallway from his office, three months later she was dropped from Def Jam Records. She began taking drugs and performing at burlesque [bəˈlesk](滑稽剧的) shows. Music producer gave her the name of Lady Gaga; it was taken from the Queen song “Radio Ga Ga”. After her name was changed to Gaga, she didn’t want to be known as Stefani again. She began writing songs for Brittany Spears, New Kids On the Block, The Pussy Cat Dolls and Fergie. Akon recognized her vocal talent so he convinced interscope to give her a chance. She became a big success drawing influence from glam rock stars Queen and David Bowe.

Her influences include Michael Jackson, Madonna, David Bowe, and Freddie Mercury. Fashion wise she draws inspiration from Grace Jones. Lady Gaga’s fashion is crazy, over the top and very avant-garde.(标新立异). I consider her a fashion icon simply because she is her own person. In my opinion a fashion icon isn’t always someone that dresses normal or even someone who dresses well, but someone that is different and will catch the attention of others, I think Gaga has that in the bag. So this poses a question, do you think Lady Gaga is a fashion icon or a fashion nightmare? Don’t think of it in the sense as if you would wear her clothing or not because I don’t think most people would, think of how unique you think she is or isn’t for that matter. – Stacey Moore